Skip to main content

Ghar se durr.... na mite pyaas, na mite bhook.


Well I really don't know how to translate that in english though i'm pretty sure if I try it will sound ridiculous.That's the thing about language,isn't it? Like no matter how many languages you know or the places you have been, it's the language you revert back to when you are sad that forms your connect to your motherland.Miles away from India in SG, where I come across people who hardly know Hindi let alone Bengali, I find immense satisfaction to converse with my hubby or with certain bangladeshi friends in Bengali.It makes me feel like I'm sitting somewhere in Kolkata, sipping cha and participating in a healthy adda session about politics,poetry and food.

At times I am faced with that ever-so-epicly poignant question which every wife/home maker/mother/sister/ in fact all womanhood face at some point in their lives.No no it's not the question on mega serials like " Kya Anandi ki dubara shaadi hogi" or " Bonny ki parbe nijer adhikar nite" etc etc but the other serious question in a woman's life- " What to cook for dinner?". Now I don't know about you guys but sometimes when faced this question of over 100 marks,I feel like sitting and solving test papers of Anita Desai or R.K.Agarwal before I.C.S.E. was a piece of cake.At least you knew where to start.Here it's like having a staring competition with the ingredients in your refrigerator and the take-out winning most of the times because you just don't know where to start.

My hubby complaints a lot that I am obsessed with cookery shows as I am an avid fan of the Masterchef series as well as Hell's Kitchen.Being the Atail (Intellectual) that he is,he prefers watching "Walk The Talk" and NDTV discussions led by the eminent Barkha Dutt about caste issues,corruption and other social maladies which plague our nation.Now with due respect to bengali Atailami(Intellectualism),he does not have to worry about cooking or I bet he has never faced gastronomy altering questions like,"Is it a good to mix moong,masoor,urad dal together and cook a dal fry" or " Should I add some veggies to the chicken so that it may soak up the excess salt I had mistakenly added to the chicken curry?".No he does not.Hence he does not know what difficult,crucial choices women all over the world make everyday while cooking dinner.Let's be honest.This is the one time other than Indian cricket when all boundaries of caste,creed,social hierarchy melt away as you know you are standing at par with the PM's wife as she stands in her kitchen and wonders the same stuff.Don't laugh.It's true.

Hence last afternoon when my hubby bought chicken from the market for me to cook,I sat and reflected over the composite fate of the chicken and was faced with another epic question of all times,"Should I cook a dahi chicken or a chicken curry?".Now the reason for this question was the last time I had cooked chicken,my husband had finished off dinner without a word and while washing his hands had casually remarked that though the chicken tasted great,it should have been spicier.Now you might think that that's a pretty okay comment to give but when you are cooking in a common kitchen shared by other people and the distance from your room to the kitchen is quite a walk,you tend to forget carrying stuff and hence I had forgotten the spice.But at that time it was like " Really dude!"

So last night when I was cooking dinner which comprised of chicken curry bengali style and paratha,I was recollecting how in India I had been so used to having chicken curry made by my mother that sometimes I would order take-aways so that I did not have to eat chicken curry bengali style.And today,miles away how I long for my mother's cooked chicken curry because I'm tired of the food which I eat here in SG.It's tasty but it's not for the long run.And as always my head bows with gratitude towards my mother who had once dragged me into kitchen and made me her sous chef so that I learnt how to cook a perfect chicken curry.

After dinner yesterday night when my husband told me that the chicken curry was phenomenal,I was happy because I too had a great dinner.It was not because the food was out of the world or because I had overnight turned into a masterchef but because no matter how many cuisines you taste and what new mind-blowing flavors you try,at times in order to feel satiated what you need is a simple meal of paratha and chicken curry instead of an A-la-carte with foreign food.I realised far away from home it's hard to hold near and dear ones closer to the heart but I am glad my mother taught me how to hold her close to my heart by introducing me to flavors that are from her kitchen.If not for her my luck would have been the same as my blog post,

"Ghar se durr..na mitte pyaas,na mitte bhook"


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Bulbbul : A love affair between nuanced filmmaking and hauntingly-beautiful storytelling

When Netflix released the trailer of Bulbbul, it caught mass attention. Since the lockdown, the viewership-graph shows aundiences worldwide have been screaming for content - good, bad, mediocre, or whatever. Lockdown has inevitably locked us down in our homes and the availability of prime OTT platforms competing against each other to rank among the best of the best, has made viewers spoilt for choice. There's something for everyone and everyone can call dibs now. 2020 is a washout year when it comes to many things, I mean this year has witnessed so many marriage cancellations that don't be surprised if one fine day, we come to know that divorce lawyers have become extinct because no marriages took place in this year. I mean, who will feed the supply-&-demand curve! But this year has also champoined brilliant content which on any other year would have been just meh!!!  We had 'Dark', we had 'You', we had 'Asur', we had 'Why Women Kill', we had

Bong Classics: Dim Alu Bhaate(Mashed potatoes with boiled eggs, tempered with spices and fried onion julienne)

As Bengalis, we love the(humble) potato to bits. We are obsessed with it, we dream about it and we find innovative ways to include the Alu(potato) in our daily dishes. Alu to us is Bae! As such whether it is the starting of the meal or the end, potato is the Prima Donna to our gastronomic adventures. We start off meals with Ucche-Alu Bhaate(Bitter gourd mashed with boiled potatoes) that clarifies the blood and is good for health; we have Jhuri Alu Bhaja (thinly shredded potato crisps that beat any packet chips available), we have Alu-Posto ( a delectable dished cooked with poppy-seed paste and diced potatoes with a tempering of nigella seeds); the Mangshor Jhol'r Alu (Mutton Curry cooked with potato halves) and the holy grail of potatoes, Biriyani'r Aloo. Ask any Bengali from Kolkata to Connecticut and they will pledge before you that no matter how tasty a Biriyani is, if it has no Alu, it's not a Biriyani. We just can't do without it. Like the Brits and the