Skip to main content

The Butter Chicken Saga

When I was a kid,my favorite ad on T.V. was "utterly,butterly,delicious Ammulllllll" and the cute girl with the red polka dot dress. Call it divine intervention or lady luck, though I was too young to understand what the word 'foodie' meant, I was sure growing up to be one.( Rectifying the statement) A MAJOR one.

Growing up in Kolkata,a major part of my school friends,college friends were Punjabi. Again,call it divine intervention or lady luck, I really struck a cord with the happy-go-lucky fanatics of 'makai ki roti,sarso da saag' so much so that at one point of time,my dear and loving mother used to think she might again need to teach me Bengali or how to eat 'Ilish mach'. I always scored great in hindi,thanks to my non-stop hindi/punjabi speaking friends and developed my hindi so much that till today people mistake me to be a punjabi when I speak in Hindi.
' O teri!'

Now the question arises as to why till today I bond with Punjabis great.Well it's simple.Bengalis and Punjabis are pots of the same clay.Both communities lovec their rich culture and heritage,food,festivals and are really chilled people.No wonder most Bengali boys/girls end up marrying Punjabi boys/girls and vice versa.The Bengalis have their " Ghee" and the Punjabis have their "butter".And the first Punjabi dish I fell in love with was Butter Chicken.

I still remember the day I had it for the first time.I was a student in Standard IX and my good friend(school crush) Rahul Singh's mother had given him Roti and Butter Chicken in tiffin.Now as it happens with most people,Rahul had been eating Butter Chicken for so long that he was happy to swap tiffin with me.So while he devoured a box of luchi- alur dom,the quintessential Bengali tiffin,I was more than happy to demolish a dabba of Butter Chicken and Roti.Those soft succulent pieces of chicken marinated in hung curd and spices,fried in butter or grilled,doused in a gravy of creamy goodness was just YUMMY.And hence began my love affair with Butter Chicken.

Now like all Bengalis,I am a true and committed lover - in real as well as gastronomical life.So no matter where I went and with whom,I always tried to have Butter Chicken.My obsession grew so much that at one point my parents didn't offer to take me to dinner parties lest I should again drag them to a Punjabi hotel for authentic butter chicken.My friends also avoided me because they grew tired of Punjabi food and Butter Chicken.But not me.No sir.I remained committed to it.So much so that at one time I decided if I had to marry then I would marry a Punjabi because then I wouldn't have to betray my beloved Butter Chicken.
But like all things in life," Man proposes and God disposes". I married into an inter-community family with Bengali/Bihari roots.But it wasn't that bad because my hubby is big time foodie,or rather as he calls it,' A Global Foodie'.He loves eating and Butter Chicken does happen to be on his list.


After marriage,when I came to Singapore, the variety of Indian food was marginalized to some restaurants in Little India.The ones that did serve my favorite  were either too eavily priced or lacked in taste.My hubby,understanding my loyalty  towards my first love,took me all over Singapore for the perfect plate and I came back disappointed and sad.None seemed to cut it.

I was almost about to give up hope when it seemed like Ma Annapurna smiled down upon me.While I was back home,in India,watching TLC one evening,I saw this amazing recipe for a Mutton Stew. (No,no I have not lost track,believe me) The way the lady in the show caramelized the onions gave me an idea.So I thought why not try to make Butter Chicken this way.Not the old school way which takes a lot of time but rather slow cooking the essential and fast cooking the consequential.( I assure you guys I'm not an ex-tempo expert )

So this time when I came back to Singapore,I raided the grocery store,picked up the ingredients and told to myself," If you want the best,you have to cook the best." And with that slogan,today evening I marched up to the kitchen with a box full of ingredients,my hubby helping me out by sharing the load,and remembering Aamir Khan's
"Bar bar ha,
Bolo yaar ha,
Apni jeet ho,
Unki haar ha.
Koi humse jeet na pawe,chale chalo....."

And after 45 mins came the reward.An incredibly scrumptious pot of creamy,buttery gravy with soft,melt in the mouth chicken pieces that satisfied me and hubby dear.I was so elated that I was about to cry but I also had to eat.Hence I postponed the crying.
But while having dinner,I thanked Rahul's mom for introducing me to my first crush.Without her 6I would have missed out on the significance of Butter Chicken in a foodie's life,Ma Annapurna for blessing me with a good hand for cooking and my mother for teaching me how to cook and to never give up.

I owe this bowl of Butter Chicken to these three amazing ladies.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Bulbbul : A love affair between nuanced filmmaking and hauntingly-beautiful storytelling

When Netflix released the trailer of Bulbbul, it caught mass attention. Since the lockdown, the viewership-graph shows aundiences worldwide have been screaming for content - good, bad, mediocre, or whatever. Lockdown has inevitably locked us down in our homes and the availability of prime OTT platforms competing against each other to rank among the best of the best, has made viewers spoilt for choice. There's something for everyone and everyone can call dibs now. 2020 is a washout year when it comes to many things, I mean this year has witnessed so many marriage cancellations that don't be surprised if one fine day, we come to know that divorce lawyers have become extinct because no marriages took place in this year. I mean, who will feed the supply-&-demand curve! But this year has also champoined brilliant content which on any other year would have been just meh!!!  We had 'Dark', we had 'You', we had 'Asur', we had 'Why Women Kill', we had

Bong Classics: Dim Alu Bhaate(Mashed potatoes with boiled eggs, tempered with spices and fried onion julienne)

As Bengalis, we love the(humble) potato to bits. We are obsessed with it, we dream about it and we find innovative ways to include the Alu(potato) in our daily dishes. Alu to us is Bae! As such whether it is the starting of the meal or the end, potato is the Prima Donna to our gastronomic adventures. We start off meals with Ucche-Alu Bhaate(Bitter gourd mashed with boiled potatoes) that clarifies the blood and is good for health; we have Jhuri Alu Bhaja (thinly shredded potato crisps that beat any packet chips available), we have Alu-Posto ( a delectable dished cooked with poppy-seed paste and diced potatoes with a tempering of nigella seeds); the Mangshor Jhol'r Alu (Mutton Curry cooked with potato halves) and the holy grail of potatoes, Biriyani'r Aloo. Ask any Bengali from Kolkata to Connecticut and they will pledge before you that no matter how tasty a Biriyani is, if it has no Alu, it's not a Biriyani. We just can't do without it. Like the Brits and the