Skip to main content

The Kofta Curry Saga

For some days now I had been craving for meatballs…why you may ask? Well being a very selective eater or rather a ‘ nothing eater’ as my husband calls it, it becomes very difficult to choose and eat which has variety.

Being raised in a Brahmin family my choices of proteins were always limited. It was either egg / chicken / fish /mutton. Now you may think it’s a very decent choice list but when you are someone like me who hates eating and then irrespective of the list you are still stuck with hardly any options.

For I cannot eat or rather choose not to eat mutton. Call me ‘nyaka’ but the truth is ever since I had once accompanied my father to the slaughterhouse to see how we get mutton I lost all appetite for it. I could never digest eggs as eggs always caused my stomach massive problems of the wrong kind. Fish I could never love as the smell irked me. So the only choice was Chicken.

Though my choices were limited regarding non-vegetarian food, it didn’t actually bother me a lot for two reasons. Firstly my mother happens to be an excellent cook. Secondly I grew up in the city of Kolkata, which is a foodie’s paradise. Hence you have such a wide array of veg food available that you rarely do stream towards meat.

Hence I had managed to survive 28 years of my life with a limited selection of food and it had never merely raised any havoc in my life. That was until I got married and came to Singapore.

Here the one protein easily available is the one I rarely eat – PORK. Now I know that many pork lovers would right now curl up their lips and say that I am being choosy and pork is divine but you see, dear Porkinions my problems has nothing to do with the meat and everything to do with the animal.

While growing up I had seen the movie ‘ Babe: Pig in the city’ and unfortunately that had undone whatever gastronomical ideas I had nurtured for the snout. For every time I tried to eat pork, it was babe I could think about and hence after sometime I gave up on the idea of pork.

So here I was in my kitchen in Singapore facing the dilemma most cooks do,’ what to cook?’ or rather ‘how to cook chicken in a new way?’ because I had exhausted my ability to reinvent the fowl.

Happily on a trip to Fair price in Singapore which is similar to Spencer’s in India only a lot bigger and a lot more in variety, I came across Minced Chicken and instantly I was transported to my home where sitting before the TV I was seeing Nigella Lawson make meatballs.

Now see I would like to point out I am a lot like Sherlock (Benny please) because I have a lot of information stored inside my ‘Mind Palace’ and I can go to them anytime I want the only difference being it’s solely about food.

So there I was remembering that episode where Ms. Lawson had created Lamb Koftas and I was inspired to give them a try. Needless to say I bought all the stuff and promised my hubby a great lunch the next day.


And so here it is.

My Chicken Kofta Curry. Now usually I don’t write any recipes as there are plenty out there but because every friend of mine has asked for it and asked me to inbox it to them, so for the very first time I am giving the recipe as well.

Hope you guys enjoy making and eating it as much as me.


Bon Appetit










                                                  The Chicken Kofta Curry Recipe .



    For the Chicken Ball/Meat Ball (List A)


  • 350gm Minced Chicken (Keema)
  • 1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste
  • 1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
  • 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Paste
  • 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
  • ½ Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves)
  • 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
  • 2 Tablespoons Cilantro (Coriander) leaves chopped
  • 5 Tablespoons Onion Chopped
  • 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
  • 2 Tablespoon Maida (All Purpose Flour)
  • Salt (as per taste)


For The Gravy (List B)
  • 6 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • 3 Whole Dry Red Chili
  • 3 -4 Pieces of Cinnamon Stick
  • 4 Pieces of Cloves
  • 4 Pieces of Cardamoms
  • 3 Tablespoons Fried Onion Paste (See Notes)
  • 2 Tablespoons Onion Chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon Green Chili Paste
  • 1 Tablespoon Garlic Paste
  • 1 Tablespoon Ginger Paste
  • 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
  • ¼ Teaspoon Cumin Powder
  • ¼ Teaspoon Coriander Powder
  • 1 Medium Size Tomato
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Purée
  • 2 Tablespoons Yogurt/Curd
  • ½ Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves)
  • ½ Teaspoon Lemon Juice
  • Salt (as needed)
  • Sugar (as per taste)
    INSTRUCTIONS

1.Put minced chicken (keema) in a bowl and add all the spices listed in List A.

2.Mix them well and make medium sized ball with the chicken and keep them aside.

3.Now take water in a bowl and heat in medium to high flame. Once the water starts boiling, drop the Chicken balls one by one. Let the chicken ball be cooked until they start floating on the water.

4.Heat a skillet/cooking pan in a medium flame and put 3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil and shallow fry all the chicken balls.

5.Take 6 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil in a skillet and heat in medium flame.

6.Once the oil is hot, add Bay Leaves, whole Dry Red Chili, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves (whole).

7.When the aroma of the spices starts to come out, add fried Onion paste, chopped Onion, Green Chili Paste, Ginger & Garlic Paste. Sauté them for 3-5 mins.

8.Add the Red Chili PowDer, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder & Coriander Powder. Sauté them for 2-3 mins.

9.Then add the chopped Tomato, Tomato puree, Salt & Sugar. Stir them until the chopped tomato has been cooked.

10.Next, add the Yogurt and stir until the gravy starts extracting oil.

11.Now finally add the Chicken Balls and mix them well for few mins.

12. Add half Cup of warm water, reduce the flame to low-medium and cover the skillet with a lid for 2-3 mins.

13.Now your Chicken Kofta Curry is almost ready.

14.Add ½ Teaspoon Lemon Juice & ½ Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder before serving.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Bulbbul : A love affair between nuanced filmmaking and hauntingly-beautiful storytelling

When Netflix released the trailer of Bulbbul, it caught mass attention. Since the lockdown, the viewership-graph shows aundiences worldwide have been screaming for content - good, bad, mediocre, or whatever. Lockdown has inevitably locked us down in our homes and the availability of prime OTT platforms competing against each other to rank among the best of the best, has made viewers spoilt for choice. There's something for everyone and everyone can call dibs now. 2020 is a washout year when it comes to many things, I mean this year has witnessed so many marriage cancellations that don't be surprised if one fine day, we come to know that divorce lawyers have become extinct because no marriages took place in this year. I mean, who will feed the supply-&-demand curve! But this year has also champoined brilliant content which on any other year would have been just meh!!!  We had 'Dark', we had 'You', we had 'Asur', we had 'Why Women Kill', we had

Singapore Diaries 1-The shakti of MDH Masalas and Ma ka pyaar.

On my first International Flight to Singapore through Silk Air I was as excited and petrified as a kid is on the first day of school.The morning of 20th October'15 and the days before that I was an emotional mess to be honest.It was the first time I was leaving my family and going to an unknown country.Now one may say that its the same if I had left Kolkata and gone elsewhere,any other city in India,I would have felt equally alone.But I beg to differ.See the thing is that any other city in India might have been unknown but it would have been the same Country.The people may look different like for example if you shifted to Kashmir or Jammu you might have suffered from a bit of fair-and-lovely complex as people there are all the colour of plaster of paris with a tinge of pink on their cheeks.Similarly if you would have travelled to the south,people may look at you if you are even remotely as fair as me because there the fair-and-lovely complex is in reverse.The dresses may have va