Skip to main content

Kolkata Potoler Dorma ( Stuffed pointed gourd in a Bengali style curry)

So here I am back again writing after quite some time. It been a very busy couple of months. I have travelled so much that currently I have 3 bags of unwashed clothes...I know..I know... But I just didn't wanted the poor Dhobi (laundry guy) an heart attack with that enormous pile of clothes. But I will do it this week.

Now travelling so much, there's so much to explore as far as food is concerned that the kitchen and I have been on a lovers-break. It missed me and I missed it. We both gave each other forlorn glances and were tormented by our separation. Any place I went to and tried new food, I would make mental notes of the things I would like further incorporate in that dish.


Finally one day Ma Annapoorna ( the Hindu goddess of nourishment and whom I always pray to before cooking something new) smiled down at me and got me and my kitchen back together in love. Hubby finally said he was a tad bit tired of the food outside and wanted something to be cooked off at home. I was making a list because in summers there's only so much a wife can cook for a fussy husband when the idea of making Potoler Dorma came to mind. It's easy, super convenient and even the strictest of non-vegetarian eaters love it. 


So here it is guys. The recipe for Potoler Dorma. Please feel free to make any adjustments to the dish according to your taste as we all have individual palates. However the crux recipe remains the same. 


Bon Appetit!

Cooking Time: 20 mins                           Prep. Time: 10 mins                                       Serves : 4

Ingredients: 

For the Stuffing


  • Potol / Parwal / Pointed Gourd : 8. 
  • Mutton keema : 300 grams.
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt. 
http://bitingbalsamic.blogspot.in/2016/05/kahani-keema-mattar-ki-stir-fried.html

Please follow the above link for the stuffing. Also do keep in mind that the stuffing can be anything you wish. But other good pairings are:
Vegetarian : stir-fried paneer or paneer bhurji / stir fried moong dal.
Non: Vegetarian: Stir fried prawn / stir fried bhetki. 
So feel free to explore.


For the Gravy

  • Onion paste : 2 tablespoon.
  • Poppy seed paste : 2 teaspoon. ( If poppy seed paste is not available you can always use cashew paste. just change the quantity to 1 1/2 teaspoon)
  • Ginger & Garlic paste : 1 teaspoon each.
  • Dahi : 100 gms ( If you are using Yoghurt just make it 80 grams and add half a cup of water to loosen it ). Beat the dahi / yoghurt with a fork so that no lumps are formed.
  • Ghee or clarified butter : 4 teaspoon.
  • Sugar : According to taste.
  • Salt : According to taste.
  • Garam Masala : 1/2 teaspoon.
  • Whole Garam Masala : 1’ cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamom, 1 bay leaf.
  • Oil : 4 tablespoon.
  • Raisins : 2 teaspoon. Soaked in hot water till they swell up.
Procedure
  • Take the Potol and scrap it with a knife. Do not peel it. The skin of the Potol is very thin and easily comes off if scraped with a knife. Then with a vegetable peeler / knife / back end of a spoon scoop out the inside of the potol clean. Cut off one end of the potol, just a little bit, but not the other end as it will spill out the stuffing when you are cooking it.


  • Wash them and pat dry. Add the salt, turmeric and chilli powder and coat the potol nicely with it. Shallow fry them in 2 teaspoon of oil till their skin turns soft and yellowish on the outside.


  • Take each potol and fill in the stuffing ( See Pic)





  • In a Kadhai, put it on a medium flame and add 2 tablespoon oil. Once the oil is hot, add the whole garam masala. Once the aromat releases its flavour take it out and keep them aside. Now in the same oil add the onion paste and fry till it becomes translucent. 


  • Next add the ginger garlic paste, turmeric and red chilli powder. Fry it till the raw smell of the paste goes away.

  • Add the poppy seed paste and fry for a minute.

  • Now add the dahi/ yoghurt, mix it well with the paste and fry till it starts releasing oil.

  • Add 3/4 th cup of water. Arrange the potol, cover the lid and let it simmer away for 15 mins or till the potol is done.


  • Garnish it with a teaspoon of ghee, the raisins and garam masala powder, lightly stir it once and serve with hot steamed rice or pulao.

            


             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Bulbbul : A love affair between nuanced filmmaking and hauntingly-beautiful storytelling

When Netflix released the trailer of Bulbbul, it caught mass attention. Since the lockdown, the viewership-graph shows aundiences worldwide have been screaming for content - good, bad, mediocre, or whatever. Lockdown has inevitably locked us down in our homes and the availability of prime OTT platforms competing against each other to rank among the best of the best, has made viewers spoilt for choice. There's something for everyone and everyone can call dibs now. 2020 is a washout year when it comes to many things, I mean this year has witnessed so many marriage cancellations that don't be surprised if one fine day, we come to know that divorce lawyers have become extinct because no marriages took place in this year. I mean, who will feed the supply-&-demand curve! But this year has also champoined brilliant content which on any other year would have been just meh!!!  We had 'Dark', we had 'You', we had 'Asur', we had 'Why Women Kill', we had

Singapore Diaries 1-The shakti of MDH Masalas and Ma ka pyaar.

On my first International Flight to Singapore through Silk Air I was as excited and petrified as a kid is on the first day of school.The morning of 20th October'15 and the days before that I was an emotional mess to be honest.It was the first time I was leaving my family and going to an unknown country.Now one may say that its the same if I had left Kolkata and gone elsewhere,any other city in India,I would have felt equally alone.But I beg to differ.See the thing is that any other city in India might have been unknown but it would have been the same Country.The people may look different like for example if you shifted to Kashmir or Jammu you might have suffered from a bit of fair-and-lovely complex as people there are all the colour of plaster of paris with a tinge of pink on their cheeks.Similarly if you would have travelled to the south,people may look at you if you are even remotely as fair as me because there the fair-and-lovely complex is in reverse.The dresses may have va