Skip to main content

Breakfast done better at D'Arcy's


It's been a while I had written a review so my apologies for the delay. 

For those of you who have been living in Muscat or are frequent visitors to this beautiful city, D'Arcy's is a premier institution everyone is well aware of. And if you have been living under a rock, please get out of it and visit this restaurant because you will have the time of your life here.

I had earlier written a review on the restaurant on TA to which many of you responded favorably. However, in the FMCG business, premier institutions often fall behind in maintaining their level of excellence consistently. Sometimes, the restaurant that gave you your best meal in a new city often fails to deliver the same level of excellence over a period of time. As a food blogger and consultant, I tend to visit places which have impressed me with their impeccable standards, time and again, to check if they still excel or not.

So today out of the blue, early morning at 8.30 a.m.,GST, me and hub visited D'Arcy's and we were not disappointed. Rather D'Arcy's still managed to bowl me over with their delicious food and service standards. For a premier institution that's been around since the mid 90's, D'Arcy's seems to have found the secret mantra for success. They up their food,service and client satisfaction game every time.I was pleasantly surprised to find the place all up and ready for business so early in the morning. Not a table, a cup or a waiter was out of place. That's dedication right there.
They have introduced a quaint and nice breakfast menu that serves English Breakfast, Eggs Benedict and Granola. To be honest this may seem to be restrictive to some of you picky eaters but I rather have a place that serves limited but quality food than a place with a large menu but no quality. Plus doesn't Gordon Ramsay always advise to keep the menu simple but damn good. D'Arcy's has done that.

The English Brekkie was a platter of food that had perfection written all over it. I had mine with poached eggs and turkey bacon and I'm glad I skipped the sausage that is the regular choice. Poached eggs are tricky and many fine dining restaurants fail to deliver perfectly poached eggs minus the stringy egg threads but these guys had done it to perfection. If you zoom into the picture, you will find pearl white eggs which when cut into gushes out a smooth, buttery egg yolk that is the stuff of a foodie's dream. The other highlight was the turkey bacon, also better done than most restaurants. The meat was treated with respect and you could taste the smokiness of the meat devoid the chewiness which happens when bacon is overcooked. The hash browns were crispy and perfectly seasoned. The mushrooms, thinly sliced and sauteed in butter melted in the mouth without being soggy.The food arrived as fresh as one could expect it. The only suggestion I would have is to lose the roasted tomato as it adds nothing to the plate.


As today is Valentine's Day, D'Arcy's has this delicious, creamy, smooth nutella and oreo dessert(with a cheesecake style making)devoid the heaviness of a cheesecake. The nutella is whipped until it's light and fluffy and the oreo-butter crust has this crumbly but smooth texture. A bite into this and you will become a chocoholic if you aren't one already. In short, it was divine. Even someone like me who is not a huge chocolate fan ate all of it, so that says a lot. This dessert hasn't been formally introduced into the menu as it is still in an experimental phase, but do ask for this when you visit D'Arcy's. You have no idea what you guys are missing.






I congratulate the chef at D'Arcy's for truly respecting the ingredients and presenting platters of food that were a true delight to be had. And the wonderfully prompt service staff who are so polite and welcoming. To Mr. Sarvesh, the Supervisor who brings the experience of Raffles' Place to D'Arcy's that truly shows. Take a bow, you guys. You are changing the food scene in Muscat one platter at a time.

And to my dear readers, do head out to D'Arcy's and become a part of this institution. Soak in the ambiance,enjoy the service and fall in love with the food. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Bong Classics: Dim Alu Bhaate(Mashed potatoes with boiled eggs, tempered with spices and fried onion julienne)

As Bengalis, we love the(humble) potato to bits. We are obsessed with it, we dream about it and we find innovative ways to include the Alu(potato) in our daily dishes. Alu to us is Bae! As such whether it is the starting of the meal or the end, potato is the Prima Donna to our gastronomic adventures. We start off meals with Ucche-Alu Bhaate(Bitter gourd mashed with boiled potatoes) that clarifies the blood and is good for health; we have Jhuri Alu Bhaja (thinly shredded potato crisps that beat any packet chips available), we have Alu-Posto ( a delectable dished cooked with poppy-seed paste and diced potatoes with a tempering of nigella seeds); the Mangshor Jhol'r Alu (Mutton Curry cooked with potato halves) and the holy grail of potatoes, Biriyani'r Aloo. Ask any Bengali from Kolkata to Connecticut and they will pledge before you that no matter how tasty a Biriyani is, if it has no Alu, it's not a Biriyani. We just can't do without it. Like the Brits and the

Singapore Diaries 1-The shakti of MDH Masalas and Ma ka pyaar.

On my first International Flight to Singapore through Silk Air I was as excited and petrified as a kid is on the first day of school.The morning of 20th October'15 and the days before that I was an emotional mess to be honest.It was the first time I was leaving my family and going to an unknown country.Now one may say that its the same if I had left Kolkata and gone elsewhere,any other city in India,I would have felt equally alone.But I beg to differ.See the thing is that any other city in India might have been unknown but it would have been the same Country.The people may look different like for example if you shifted to Kashmir or Jammu you might have suffered from a bit of fair-and-lovely complex as people there are all the colour of plaster of paris with a tinge of pink on their cheeks.Similarly if you would have travelled to the south,people may look at you if you are even remotely as fair as me because there the fair-and-lovely complex is in reverse.The dresses may have va