Skip to main content

Punjabi Classics: Handi Chicken (Tender,succulent chicken cooked in an earthenware pot)

Handi Chicken(HC) is quiet a popular item on the Punjabi menu. Hard working, industrious Punjabis love their chicken and paratha and there are quiet a few dishes that fail to receive as much recognition as Butter Chicken and Chicken Tikka Masala. The Colonial Maters, after their 200 year rule in India, returned back to England. Despite their general hatred towards the Indians or rather the Darkies, they seemed to had fallen in love with the cuisine of the country. As such Butter Chicken and Chicken Tikka Masala are still the most popular dishes in Her Majesty's kingdom.

Irrespective of the fame that these two dishes received, and they sure are amazing dishes, the one that kind of got left behind and failed to achieve as much popularity as it's elder siblings was the Handi Chicken. Now before you run off to try it, do remember that not every restaurant serves a good Handi Chicken. I have tried it in a lot of places and most of them have been disappointing as hell. I don't know what is it that the chefs do to this dish in their kitchen, but its either too creamy, too tomatoie, too dry or too oily. It just never makes the cut for me and I have developed a sort of an inharmonious relationship towards the dish, of late.

Growing up, I had this Punjabi friend who's mother made the most delicious HC I've ever tasted in my life. It was one of the primary reasons why I did his English Homework for him. Food always motivated me, even at a young age. So on those rare days when Aunty would pack HC for my friend as lunch, I would be on cloud nine. That gravy, with a subtle hint of Kasoori Methi and deshi Ghee with soft parathas, was the stuff foodgasms are made of! Of course back then I didn't know I would grow up and become a Food Consultant and food would rock my world 27/7. If I knew that, I would have certainly taken down the recipe.

So basically without Aunty's recipe me or punjabi friends I had to resort to cooking HC myself. Neither could I get a hold on terracotta pots abroad as the name Handi comes from the earthenware pots/ terracotta pots in which the dish used to be cooked. These pots have a different heat temperature; as such the meat tends to be much more tender and the gravy robust.

A Traditional Handi or Terracotta Pot (Image Reference: https://www.unravelindia.com/unravel-india-earthen-ceramic-handi-set-of-3-1.html)

I did quiet a few experiments and arrived at the conclusion that chicken thighs make the best HC. Also the onions have to be fried a deep golden brown for the gravy to be robust. A good helping of Ghee (clarified ghee) and Kasoori Methi helps. Also not to go overboard with the cream. And as always, patience goes a long way in making a humble dish taste exquisite. My dish now comes pretty close to Aunty's dish and I'm damn happy about it!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Bulbbul : A love affair between nuanced filmmaking and hauntingly-beautiful storytelling

When Netflix released the trailer of Bulbbul, it caught mass attention. Since the lockdown, the viewership-graph shows aundiences worldwide have been screaming for content - good, bad, mediocre, or whatever. Lockdown has inevitably locked us down in our homes and the availability of prime OTT platforms competing against each other to rank among the best of the best, has made viewers spoilt for choice. There's something for everyone and everyone can call dibs now. 2020 is a washout year when it comes to many things, I mean this year has witnessed so many marriage cancellations that don't be surprised if one fine day, we come to know that divorce lawyers have become extinct because no marriages took place in this year. I mean, who will feed the supply-&-demand curve! But this year has also champoined brilliant content which on any other year would have been just meh!!!  We had 'Dark', we had 'You', we had 'Asur', we had 'Why Women Kill', we had

Singapore Diaries 1-The shakti of MDH Masalas and Ma ka pyaar.

On my first International Flight to Singapore through Silk Air I was as excited and petrified as a kid is on the first day of school.The morning of 20th October'15 and the days before that I was an emotional mess to be honest.It was the first time I was leaving my family and going to an unknown country.Now one may say that its the same if I had left Kolkata and gone elsewhere,any other city in India,I would have felt equally alone.But I beg to differ.See the thing is that any other city in India might have been unknown but it would have been the same Country.The people may look different like for example if you shifted to Kashmir or Jammu you might have suffered from a bit of fair-and-lovely complex as people there are all the colour of plaster of paris with a tinge of pink on their cheeks.Similarly if you would have travelled to the south,people may look at you if you are even remotely as fair as me because there the fair-and-lovely complex is in reverse.The dresses may have va