Skip to main content

Shorshe Mushroom Jhal ( Button Mushrooms cooked in a mustard-green chilli stir fried gravy)






Jhal is one of the taste component Bong cooks stive to achieve in the kitchen. Jhal basically means Hot/Spicy but it's the green chillies that often add the spice factor to plenty of Bong dishes. Bongs tend to love food on the hotter side, our taste buds have been trained like Shaolin Monks from a young age to develop decent hot tolerance. We have a lot of Jhal dishes, mostly with fish as fish and mustard-green chilli paste is a match made in heaven.

However we also have offbeat Jhal dishes, like this one. This dish is my ma's recipe, which was often made when I caught cold. The mustard acts as a Otrivin, it's pungency opening up a blocked nose and stimulating taste in an otherwise bland, sick tongue. Though Button Mushrooms still remain a luxury in Mafashal Bengal, my ma made this with Durga Chatu( Chanterelle Mushrooms), in mustard-green chilli paste in a dry gravy. The gravy should be dry enough to coat the mushrooms, but not a spoon more. 

I have had many people ask me, why their Mushroom Jhal doesn't taste similar to mine. A simple answer is, when using Mustard paste, one must always sieve it,to attain a smoother paste. No black mustard flakes should be there. 

Secondly, there's no substitute to freshly made ground mustard from mustard seeds. Sure the packet stuff is fancy, but it lacks the punch of fresh mustard paste, the dish ends up tasting bland. 

And thirdly, Koshano( stir frying the paste) is a crucial step. Sure it takes time but good food is supposed to take time. It's not instant pizza. Hence, take time with stir frying the mustard paste. The more you stir fry the paste, the more the flavor profile builds up resulting in a delicious jhal. 

Bon Appêtìt! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Bulbbul : A love affair between nuanced filmmaking and hauntingly-beautiful storytelling

When Netflix released the trailer of Bulbbul, it caught mass attention. Since the lockdown, the viewership-graph shows aundiences worldwide have been screaming for content - good, bad, mediocre, or whatever. Lockdown has inevitably locked us down in our homes and the availability of prime OTT platforms competing against each other to rank among the best of the best, has made viewers spoilt for choice. There's something for everyone and everyone can call dibs now. 2020 is a washout year when it comes to many things, I mean this year has witnessed so many marriage cancellations that don't be surprised if one fine day, we come to know that divorce lawyers have become extinct because no marriages took place in this year. I mean, who will feed the supply-&-demand curve! But this year has also champoined brilliant content which on any other year would have been just meh!!!  We had 'Dark', we had 'You', we had 'Asur', we had 'Why Women Kill', we had

Singapore Diaries 1-The shakti of MDH Masalas and Ma ka pyaar.

On my first International Flight to Singapore through Silk Air I was as excited and petrified as a kid is on the first day of school.The morning of 20th October'15 and the days before that I was an emotional mess to be honest.It was the first time I was leaving my family and going to an unknown country.Now one may say that its the same if I had left Kolkata and gone elsewhere,any other city in India,I would have felt equally alone.But I beg to differ.See the thing is that any other city in India might have been unknown but it would have been the same Country.The people may look different like for example if you shifted to Kashmir or Jammu you might have suffered from a bit of fair-and-lovely complex as people there are all the colour of plaster of paris with a tinge of pink on their cheeks.Similarly if you would have travelled to the south,people may look at you if you are even remotely as fair as me because there the fair-and-lovely complex is in reverse.The dresses may have va