Skip to main content

Bong Classics: Dim Alu Bhaate(Mashed potatoes with boiled eggs, tempered with spices and fried onion julienne)

As Bengalis, we love the(humble) potato to bits. We are obsessed with it, we dream about it and we find innovative ways to include the Alu(potato) in our daily dishes. Alu to us is Bae! As such whether it is the starting of the meal or the end, potato is the Prima Donna to our gastronomic adventures. We start off meals with Ucche-Alu Bhaate(Bitter gourd mashed with boiled potatoes) that clarifies the blood and is good for health; we have Jhuri Alu Bhaja (thinly shredded potato crisps that beat any packet chips available), we have Alu-Posto ( a delectable dished cooked with poppy-seed paste and diced potatoes with a tempering of nigella seeds); the Mangshor Jhol'r Alu (Mutton Curry cooked with potato halves) and the holy grail of potatoes, Biriyani'r Aloo. Ask any Bengali from Kolkata to Connecticut and they will pledge before you that no matter how tasty a Biriyani is, if it has no Alu, it's not a Biriyani. We just can't do without it.

Like the Brits and the Americans have their mashed potatoes that is basically a meal in itself and is often accompanied by a vast array of proteins, Bengalis have the Bhaate that accompanies the Dal(lentil soup) and steamed rice at the beginning of the meal. Now Bhaate means mashed and any kind of Bhaate in the Bengali cuisine includes a mashed-up vegetable. In most cases it's the Alu Bengalis prefer.
 
Now the neighboring state of West Bengal is Bihar that has its own version of the mashed potato, Alu Choka, a dished in which black mustard seeds, onions, green chillies, dry red chillies, coriander and cumin powder, mashed garlic cloves and amchur (optional) are tempered in oil, mixed with the potato and mashed together to produce Alu Chokha. But to be fair the Alu Chokha simply overpowers the potato and in the end all you end up tasting is the spices and no alu. 

This is exactly where we Bengalis do it better than our neighbors. We don't add a huge assortment of spices or mixes but keep it simple. A very simple vegetarian version of the Bengali style Alu Bhate is to simply temper mustard oil with whole cumin seeds, add thinly sliced onions let it fry till golden(optional) add salt, turmeric,chilli powder, chopped green chillies and mash up the potatoes with this. Keep it on the heat and stir it for a minute or two before serving.The result is finger licking good.

However, I must add that we Bengalis love our non-vegetarian fare too and the humble Alu Bhaate is elevated to God-like status if you simple dice a hard boiled egg and add it to the mashed potatoes after removing it from the heat, once it has cooled a bit. The boiled egg adds a different flavor to the potato while the boiled egg yolk mixed with the potato, provides it a smooth and buttery taste.That Alu Bhaate, the Dim Alu Bhaate is the stuff food dreams of a Bengali is made of and often results in the silent finishing of a plate of food from cranky kids. The Dim Alu Bhaate, though simple and rustic is a delight in itself and should be tried by everyone at least once in their life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Singapore Diaries 1-The shakti of MDH Masalas and Ma ka pyaar.

On my first International Flight to Singapore through Silk Air I was as excited and petrified as a kid is on the first day of school.The morning of 20th October'15 and the days before that I was an emotional mess to be honest.It was the first time I was leaving my family and going to an unknown country.Now one may say that its the same if I had left Kolkata and gone elsewhere,any other city in India,I would have felt equally alone.But I beg to differ.See the thing is that any other city in India might have been unknown but it would have been the same Country.The people may look different like for example if you shifted to Kashmir or Jammu you might have suffered from a bit of fair-and-lovely complex as people there are all the colour of plaster of paris with a tinge of pink on their cheeks.Similarly if you would have travelled to the south,people may look at you if you are even remotely as fair as me because there the fair-and-lovely complex is in reverse.The dresses may have va