Skip to main content

Bong-Punj Classics: Murgi'r Mangsho Kabuli Chola Diye ( Chicken cooked with chickpeas in a dry garvy)

 Punjabis are known for their love of food, second to Bongs. And quiet like Bongs they are willing to shed sweat, tears and blood for their food. The Punjabis are a hearty community of people who are well known all over the world for their immense contribution in various fields, food being the main. After all they did gift the world "Butter Chicken" and "Chicken Tikka Masala" which now our colonial masters can't seem to do without. They also gifted us vegetarian fares like Sarso Da Saag (Mustard green,cooked in spices), Makki di roti(Unleavened corn bread cooked on a tawa), Gajar ka halwa(grated red carrots cooked with milk, ghee, dry fruits and mawa) In fact, to be absolutely fair to my food-holic brothers, they also gifted us Bhangra( If you don't know what Bhangra is, you are literally living under a rock. Even the Canadian Prime Minister does bhangra!)

Hence it's only fair to say that Punjs and Bongs cook with a lot of similar ingredients in their everyday life; that if you step into a Punjabi kitchen you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a Bong one and vice versa. Both communities love their Dals(pulses cooked with a wide array of tempering),proteins,leafy greens and are addicted to the sweet dishes. They also have an amzing relation with their breads. As such, there have been various trials since time immemorial to combine various aspects of both cuisines, resulting in a homogeneous dish that combines the best of both worlds. We have such examples in Jalebi - Chanar Jilipi (Jalebi is round shaped coil of batter, deep fried and soaked in sugar syrup whereas Chanar Jilipi is a dish akin to Bengal where cottage cheese in shaped into a coil,fried in ghee and soaked in sugar syrup. Both dishes taste divine and are equally loved by Bongs and Punjs. Another dish is the Rabri ( milk boiled for long period of time until it becomes thick and slightly pinkish in color) that is loved by both equally. Also our common love for Whisky. Any Bengali worth their fish or any Punjabi worth their chicken can spot a good bottle of whisky from miles away. And their houses are usually treasure troves of whisky because both communities have extended families living abroad. Any call back home ends up in ".... pick up some whisky from the duty free" and despite being born with two left feet sometimes, neither Bongs or Punjs shy away from a good dance!

This dish represents a such a harmonious bond between two communities. Kabuli Chola or Chana is something very typical to Punjabi cuisine and they use it a lot in their everyday life, Chana-Batura being the most famous one. However if you feel like you ain't digging the whole CB scene, then this dish will surely make you happy. Soak the Chana overnight in hot water with a pinch of salt. In the morning, drain the water and wash the Chana, put it in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles or until it is done ( I use a Hawkins and cook it for 3 whistles. The Chana holds its' shape but is soft) Next, cook the chicken the same way as you will cook a traditional Bengali Chicken Curry, just while " Koshano" or stir frying, add the Chana and continue stir frying it for another 5 mins or so. Lower the gas to sim, add a cover and let it all cook till the chicken is done. If you feel there isn't enough water or you want more gravy, add half a small teacup of water but not more because remember the chicken will release its' own juices. Garnish with coriander leaves and a dollop of Ghee and you are done. You can have this with any Indian bread and believe me this will tick all the right boxes for you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Bulbbul : A love affair between nuanced filmmaking and hauntingly-beautiful storytelling

When Netflix released the trailer of Bulbbul, it caught mass attention. Since the lockdown, the viewership-graph shows aundiences worldwide have been screaming for content - good, bad, mediocre, or whatever. Lockdown has inevitably locked us down in our homes and the availability of prime OTT platforms competing against each other to rank among the best of the best, has made viewers spoilt for choice. There's something for everyone and everyone can call dibs now. 2020 is a washout year when it comes to many things, I mean this year has witnessed so many marriage cancellations that don't be surprised if one fine day, we come to know that divorce lawyers have become extinct because no marriages took place in this year. I mean, who will feed the supply-&-demand curve! But this year has also champoined brilliant content which on any other year would have been just meh!!!  We had 'Dark', we had 'You', we had 'Asur', we had 'Why Women Kill', we had

Singapore Diaries 1-The shakti of MDH Masalas and Ma ka pyaar.

On my first International Flight to Singapore through Silk Air I was as excited and petrified as a kid is on the first day of school.The morning of 20th October'15 and the days before that I was an emotional mess to be honest.It was the first time I was leaving my family and going to an unknown country.Now one may say that its the same if I had left Kolkata and gone elsewhere,any other city in India,I would have felt equally alone.But I beg to differ.See the thing is that any other city in India might have been unknown but it would have been the same Country.The people may look different like for example if you shifted to Kashmir or Jammu you might have suffered from a bit of fair-and-lovely complex as people there are all the colour of plaster of paris with a tinge of pink on their cheeks.Similarly if you would have travelled to the south,people may look at you if you are even remotely as fair as me because there the fair-and-lovely complex is in reverse.The dresses may have va