Skip to main content

Bulbbul : A love affair between nuanced filmmaking and hauntingly-beautiful storytelling

When Netflix released the trailer of Bulbbul, it caught mass attention. Since the lockdown, the viewership-graph shows aundiences worldwide have been screaming for content - good, bad, mediocre, or whatever. Lockdown has inevitably locked us down in our homes and the availability of prime OTT platforms competing against each other to rank among the best of the best, has made viewers spoilt for choice. There's something for everyone and everyone can call dibs now. 2020 is a washout year when it comes to many things, I mean this year has witnessed so many marriage cancellations that don't be surprised if one fine day, we come to know that divorce lawyers have become extinct because no marriages took place in this year. I mean, who will feed the supply-&-demand curve! But this year has also champoined brilliant content which on any other year would have been just meh!!! 

We had 'Dark', we had 'You', we had 'Asur', we had 'Why Women Kill', we had 'Money Heist' ... In the next couple of months we will see 'Bella Ciao' as the reigning tattoo on everyones' body....we had a brilliant 'Pataal Lok', produced by Anushka Sharma and now we have Bulbbul.


Everytime I review a movie from Clean Slate Films, my adjectives run short because with my limited vocabulary I don't know how can I praise them any differently, every single time. Clean Slate Films has given me the best horror movies in a long time, beating most movies by a mile. They have ignited my love affair with the horror genre (which I had completely lost with Vikram Bhatt movies) with 'Philauri', consolidated it with 'Pari', and commited it with Bulbbul. I have to say this - whoever curates their scripts, they folks deserve an award. Every movie from Clean Slate Films is unique, heart-rendering, nuanced and somehow engaging enough to hold a snooty viewer's attention throughout the movie. That's something very few movies have managed to do. 

Bulbbul begins with an artfully done first shot, the color Red being poignantly dominant. Throughout the movie I had 'A Handmaild's Tale' flashbacks. The story of Bulbbul is set Bengal in 1881, where Bulbbul's marriage is taking place. Her 'Pishimoni', a bengali term associated with one's paternal aunt, is searching for her. Satya, a small boy who is also the groom's brother, looks around inquisitively, and follows Pishimoni around, till they find Bulbbul, sitting on a tree, grasping a few mangoes in her hand. And this Bulbbul, the small girl clad in a sari too big for her to manage, innocent eyes, and jewellery adorning her from head to toe, is the bride! But it is not Satya and Bulbbul's wedding. The wedding is between the small girl Bulbbul and her decade-older groom, Indranil, a zamindar. After the marriage, coming back to her in-laws home, Bulbbul gets scared when she finds no one from her family is around. Satya, travelling with Bulbbul in the same palki (palanquin) tells her the story of the Chuddail (witch) who haunts the forest they are passing through. And a bond is born. A story that beautifully highlights the love between two innocent playmates that later turns into a sad love story between two adults; a story of another love that has been breeding in the Zamindar's household for years now to win over a person's affection; a story of a  disillusioned man whose actions ultimately bring the climax of the movie; and finally a story of a man and a woman who are from two different worlds and yet have managed, somehow, to find within each other a companionship and support that ultimately stands the test of time. Cultural and feminist instances are woven so craftfully into the story, that if you cannot detect the nuance you will really miss out on great moment. 

All the actors have done a brilliant job, but I would like to specially mention Rahul Bose. What a pleasure it has been to watch him, meticulously delivering a character, with so many layers, so effortlessly. He simply does command the screen. Another special mention to Parambrata. Our Jadavpur boy has once again done justice to his role. In Pari, Param's character too subdued but in Bulbbul, I'm glad to say, Param simply shines. Paoli is as charismatically nuanced as ever. I wish she took up more projects like this. There's so much she has to offer. 
Also, it would be grossly unjust not to mention the person without whom this movie wouldn't be what it is. Amit Trivedi- the musical genius. What a brilliant theme score. Can't wait to set it as my ringtone! 

Watch Bulbbul because its a brilliant story. There's not a dull moment in this movie. Watch Bulbbul for the cinematography, the architecture, the peek into bygone eras. Watch Bulbbul for the amazing performances and a stellar cast. But, most importantly, watch Bulbbul because missing it would be a crime. 
AND, AND,AND..... give the movie a day or two to sink in. Remember 'nuance' takes time. 

Pic Coutsey : Google.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packing Suitcases...

"I have barely traveled outside my own state."..Now that's a statement.Really.I have been staying in my own state West Bengal for the last 29 years of my life.And I have barely traveled outside of it.No,I'm not attached to my city so much,if that's what you are thinking.Its exactly the opposite.I'm a bohemian.I don't have sentimental attachments to places.I never did.My late father used to work in the Government sector and that meant a lot of transfers.I have been to the remotest of villages in West Bengal(Perks of being an honest policeman) with my family ever since I was a kid.I don't remember those days as I was just a toddler but from what my mother has told me,we have often lived in places with no electricity to times when my mother had to keep ducks and hens in the house and sell their eggs in the market to make ends meet(like I said perks of being an honest policeman).But as far as I can remember I was never really very sad to move places.Rathe

Singapore Diaries 1-The shakti of MDH Masalas and Ma ka pyaar.

On my first International Flight to Singapore through Silk Air I was as excited and petrified as a kid is on the first day of school.The morning of 20th October'15 and the days before that I was an emotional mess to be honest.It was the first time I was leaving my family and going to an unknown country.Now one may say that its the same if I had left Kolkata and gone elsewhere,any other city in India,I would have felt equally alone.But I beg to differ.See the thing is that any other city in India might have been unknown but it would have been the same Country.The people may look different like for example if you shifted to Kashmir or Jammu you might have suffered from a bit of fair-and-lovely complex as people there are all the colour of plaster of paris with a tinge of pink on their cheeks.Similarly if you would have travelled to the south,people may look at you if you are even remotely as fair as me because there the fair-and-lovely complex is in reverse.The dresses may have va